Tuesday 31 March 2009

Kicking Off

So tomorrow is the start of the river trout season and it will be most welcome to have the chance to be in wading the rivers and streams again in pursuit of trout. Other rivers, not too far away. have already opened, but it is my local rivers I have been wating for. It may be tricky to fish the first day, but rest assured the next few weeks, wether permitting, will see me on the Wellow - and hopefully catching a few.


Anyway, I have added a few new additions to the 'experimental' fly box, using rubber legs:

Kicking Klinkhamer

Hook: B100 #18 - 12
Thread: 14/0 Sheer, tan
Dubbing: Awesome Possum, olive / yellow
Thorax: As body, mixed with dark olive
Hackle: Ginger
Wing: TMC Aero wing
Legs: Yellow, speckled rubber



Kicking Elk Hair Caddis

Hook: Grip 14723BL #16 - #12
Thread: Benecchi 12/0, yellow
Dubbing: Awesome Possum, orange
Hackle: Silver badger, palmered
Wing: Elk
Legs: Yellow, speckled rubber
Kicking CDC & Elk
On a Grip 14723 #12:
...and on a TMC 100 #14:

Thread: 12/0 Bennechi, yellow
Body: Natural CDC
Wing: Elk (Instead of Hans' prefered Deer Hair)
Legs: Speckled rubber
Not for the purists, perhaps. However, it'll be alot of fun trying them out.
I'll report back soon with tails of the river... and hopefully some tight lines.

1 comment:

letumgo said...

Terrific series of flies, Dave! I love the Kicking Off Spring series. Hope all is well with you these days. I haven't been able to check in as often as I like, but when I do I am always genuinely impressed. Keep them coming!