Sunday 10 May 2009

Sportfish Reading Show

I made it up to the Sportfish show today. A good turn out, aided by some spectacular weather. It was good to catch up with people I hadn't seen for a while and it's always good to meet new friends. I had the pleasure of listening to Paul Procter give a talk on fishing for wild brown trout. He also discussed the challenge of seeking out big wild fish. He maintained, quite rightly I think, that a wild fish over a pound is worthy specimen, a fish of 2lb+ is something very special and a 3lb+ fish is 'one of a life time'. He had some photos of cracking wild browns over the 4lb mark (!) taken from big rivers such as the Deveron, Aberdeenshire Dee and the Don.



There were casting demonstrations too by Paul, Eoin Fairgrieve, Hywel Morgan to name just a few.

I had a play with some of the G-Loomis rods. These were really superb, and well worth the price tag. I did, however, manage to resist.

Mark Roberts (GAIA) was demonstrating some fly-tying. I caught up with him at the end of the day for a chat. He was tying some very tasty flies. You can see some of his step-by-steps on the Gwent Angling Society website.

~Dave.

No comments: