Wednesday 24 June 2009



This evening I took a short session on a part of the Wellow I have not fished this year. The water looked great, if a little low. Thankfully the Ranunculus keeps the level a little happier in places. Stealth as ever was the name of the game. A #14 CDC Dun pattern, tuck cast behind a tree gave me my biggest Wellow fish of the year; this 14" beauty:




It turned my full-flex #2 inside out and bending through the handle as it made for the roots. I was lucky to steer it out and net the fine creature. Maybe not a monster by the standards of some bigger rivers, but these are wild, small stream fish. It always suprises me how such fit, strong fish can sip at the surface with such finesse.

~Dave

2 comments:

yosdavid said...

Hello Dave

Just discovered your blog and I'm really enjoying it.

Started fishing the Wellow this season when I joined Knowle Angling, it's a lovely stream.

Hopefully getting out there next Tuesday so i'll let you know how i get on.

Keep up the good work

Yos

Dave Wiltshire said...

Great to hear of a fellow Welloe angler. It's a fine stream with a good head of wild fish. I fish the Wellow fly fishers sections - about 3 miles or so. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for leaving a message.
D.